Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Second Time Around

It is now 4 days after my surgery and I'm ready to talk about it . . . a little bit. I can't help but compare this surgery with my first one nearly 8 years ago. The differences seem to outnumber the similarities. Some of these differences may be a product of time between surgeries (e.g., improved surgical procedures, smaller implant) or of location (e.g., different state, different hospital, different surgeon). Nonetheless, this time

  • no shaved hair
  • shorter time in surgery
  • longer wait in pre-op (4 hours!) - even had to run a pregnancy test, hospital policy if "skipped" months. I'm going through menopause, for heaven's sake!
  • pneumococcal vaccine before surgery
  • incision behind and at the base of the right ear
  • longer time in hospital recovery room
  • velcroed headband with no surgical tape on my face
  • less tinnitus
  • overnight hospital stay due to nausea, in spite of anti-nausea patch positioned behind the other ear
  • some bruising on the right side of my neck
  • days of drymouth
  • some hoarseness but no sore throat

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheila:

Now that you've became bilateral...congratulations! I look forward hearing your journey.

Debbie

Denise Portis said...

Hello Sheila!

Thanks so much for the update! I've been anxiously awaiting news! I'm sorry your nausea was worse this time round!

I look forward to hearing more! Love you dear sister!

DeniseP
Frederick, MD

Debbie/Steve said...

Hi Sheila:

Here's our blog...www.amazingsoundswithcochlearimplant.blogspot.com/

Abbie said...

Hi Sheila!

SO happy that you came through your surgery with flying colors! I will be looking forward to updates about your recovery and upcoming activation! Did you happen to find out when?

Jennifer said...

Sheila...I'm so glad that you made it through in one piece! I had HORRIBLE nausea the first time around and was TERRIFIED the second time around that I'd get more of the same. Thankfully, they slapped an anti-nausea patch on me before the surgery and I felt awesome when I woke up!
You look great...hope you are feeling even better now...about a week out?
Have been praying for you and thinking of you!! (((hugs)))