Thursday, February 28, 2008

Phantom Music

It's been very quiet this time. I expected a repeat performance from my Jamaican steel band or at least the man who plays the wood block or castanets! I had sooooo much company last time: a radio man chatting about something I couldn't quite understand, heavy rain on the roof, the approach and departure of a passing train every time I turned over in bed. Where is everybody?


The night's are so still . . . it's kind of eerie. Shouldn't my newly implanted ear be searching for sound and inventing its own when none is found? My left ear sure did 8 years ago! Hello?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sheila...my ear did that...I heard amazing sounds in that ear for weeks that I'd never heard before...ROFL!
You know, though...surgeons are using better techniques now as to not damage the hair cells in the cochlea...if your surgeon did that, perhaps there wasn't any damage, ergo no tinnitus? Just a thought :)
I, on the other hand, am totally, completely deaf now...it's the strangest feeling! ((Hugs))

Abbie said...

Ahh I woke up to total silence and it was awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Jen, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one to experience such a cacaphony of sound. It's strange for things to be so silent this time.

Totally deaf now, too. My newly implanted ear was basically shot anyway, so it doesn't seem much different now when I have the C1 off at night. Next time I'm in the shower I'll pay close attention to the silence to see if it's even more silent than before.